Monday, February 8, 2010

Stop Talking

Its been nearly a year since I made my last blog entry. How fast the time goes! It hasn't been for lack of things to say, nor thoughts about everything from education to politics to business to travels. No, I probably have plenty to say and I think that is the problem.

There are too many people talking - hundreds of channels on TV, newspapers, magazines, and probably millions of blogs - the sound is deafening. And is anyone really listening? With all that is available I didn't think I could add any real value. Yes, about my opinions there will be some agreement, some disagreement too, and inevitably it could open the issue for discussion. However, I believe, to a large extent our minds are already made up. Your glass is half full or it's half empty and trying to change that isn't easy.

Should we even try to change it really? Isn't it up to an individual to get self educated? The schools really don't provide for that. I think most of us believe they are broken. But everyone that has a passion can learn about a subject with the brilliance of a Gallileo. We have all seen this. The kid that can't do math can instantly figure batting averages or the one struggling with history can learn the entire history of Ferrari including every model and every race driver.

So I don't think learning is the issue. Is it then convincing one another of values? There are certainly issues with values yet we live in a world that is far more tolerant that just a few decades ago and still not tolerant at all. The Who just played the Super Bowl and they were great, yet in the world where those guys first came together things were very different (I won't do any sport analogies). At the time The Who first formed interracial marriage wasn't accepted, most gay people were still in the closet, and women didn't have the rights they do now. Of course more work is needed but the point is that collective values have evolved over time yet we seem more divided than ever.

If we look to other countries, they survive with quite different values. In a time where our President was denying sex with another woman, the French Prime Minister's funeral was attended by both his wife and his mistress. Please don't misunderstand me here. I am not making judgements for or against - I am just stating facts.

The reality is all the little judgements that can be made serve only to seperate us, not have us come together. Attitudes of some being better than others drive further wedges and hatred. For some reason these are things that get fed.

I want to start feeding something else. I want to start feeding understanding. I know that most people are burdened with many things from childhood, race, economic situation, religion and much more. Again these are all dividers. Understanding and compassion for one another is the only way to move forward. Respect is also key. We don't always need to agree but if we can have respect there can be understanding.

Love - love is an overused word with some perhaps negative connotations associated with it. However we do need to love one another. Love is the culmination of respect, understanding, and compassion and its the only way we can move peacefully forward.

And we do need to find God again. It doesn't matter what you call Him or where you live on the planet. I know all paths ultimately lead to the same place. I can't believe anyone can go through a day and not feel the wonder of God all around us. I think it would take a pretty closed off mind not to see it. It is interesting that many nurses - who are often around more than anyone else at the time of death - tell stories of the dying person looking up and speaking to people that seem to be visible near the ceiling (angels perhaps?) - and this is true across differences of age, race, religion, money, family or alone. The vision at death is always the same and this certainly points to a common place and a common God too.

So I am going to sign off this blog for a while - I have said enough. I apologize for being too talkative, too opinionated, too judgemental. I apologize to anyone I have hurt physically or through my words or even in my inaction.

I want to go out and listen to what the wind tells me and what the smell of the sea says. I want to hear the sunrise in the silence of the mountains and experience the color that abounds. I want to do what is worthy and good and talking has lost its place in that. I will go quietly in understanding, respect, compassion and love and I will follow my God as this is really the only worthwhile endeavor.

(and don't forget the global population of Bees is in decline)

1 comment:

watermandan said...

'bout time you spoke up again.